Gansu Trip Patient Stories
- August 8, 2011: Hou Jie, a 6 year old boy who is mentally challenged, underwent surgery at the Gansu Province People’s Hospital. He was diagnosed with congenital heart disease at 5 months.
- August 8, 2011: Zhang Jiajun, a 9 year old boy diagnosed with ventricular septal defect, successfully received surgery.
- August 22, 2011: Xiao Wenbo, a 1 year old boy diagnosed with ventricular septal defect, underwent successful surgery. He was discharged on September 5, 2011.
- August 22, 2011: Zhu Yaxuan, a 7 year old girl diagnosed with patent ductus arteriosus, successfully underwent surgery.
- September 11, 2011: Zhang Yuanwen, a 9 month old boy diagnosed with both ventricular septal defect and atrial septal defect, underwent successful surgery at the Shanghai Children’s Medical Center.
New Interim President
- January 2011: Michelle Ding has been assigned the role as the new interim president to continue upholding Angel Heart mission goals and maintaining public relations.
- June 11, 2011: AHI volunteers and Dr. Shouyan Lee visit Niu Xiaohong in Huining. They also make follow up visits to Zhang Hongxia and Wang Lintao.
- June 25, 2011: A Shanghai volunteer group visits Zhang Yuanwen and Yun Tingting in Dingxi.
- July 3, 2011: Michelle Ding, Jennifer Yang, Feng Lu, Jing Chen, and other Shengzhen volunteers visit Dingxi and Huining.
- July 9, 2011: The new AHI Facebook page is published.
- July 18, 2011: Niu Haixiong arrives at the Shanghai Children’s Medical Center.
- August 8, 2011: Hou Jie and Zhang Jiajun receive surgeries for ventricular septal defects at the Gansu Province People’s Hospital.
- August 15, 2011: Niu Haixiong receives successful surgery at the Shanghai Children’s Medical Center under pediatric cardiac surgeon Dr. Xu Zhiwei.
- August 22, 2011: Xiao Wenbo, diagnosed with ventricular septal defect, and Zhu Yaxuan, diagnosed with patent ductus arteriosus, receive successful surgeries.
- August 23, 2011: AHI volunteer conduct visits to Chen Xiao, Shi Shengxia and Xue Yujing in Dingxi.
- August 31, 2011: Yun Tingting, a 1 year old diagnosed with ventricular septal defect, receives successful surgery.
New AHI Youtube Video
- Directed, filmed, and edited by AHI volunteer Eric Chiang, a new AHI video has been uploaded on October 24, 2011. This video, under the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0pW5X8pjY provides information on the AHI mission statement, organization goals, and also follows several AHI volunteers as they journey to Gansu, China and visit patients. Other video creators are Sharon Ma, Catherine Chiang, and Irene Wen, the translation supervisors, as well as Austin Bringard, the subtitle editor.
Fourth Grant from the Edwards Lifesciences Grant
- For the fourth year in a row Angel Heart has received a $25,000 grant from the Edwards Lifesciences group. As Dr. Lee proudly said, “This is result from all the hardwork you put in. Congratulations!! Special thanks to Alina who was in charge of this application.”
2011 Young Volunteer Meet-Up
- On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at Ivymax in Irvine, CA, Angel Heart volunteers hosted a meet-up in order to summarize Gansu trip details and further the unity of the organization. The event took place between 7:00PM and 8:00PM. Those In attendance included Tiffany Wu, Haotian Xu, Sariah Marie Amin, Sara Cao, as well as other volunteers and parents.
- On December 23, 2011, Angel Heart hosted a fundraiser event at Candy Cane Lane in Santa Margarita. The event was not only very successful (raising $317.50), but it also furthered the bonding between volunteers and community members of the AHI neighborhood.